The tall, narrow building in Le Locle, with close-up high windows to reveal the daylight, demonstrates Zenith's history as independent manufacturing in the enterprising spirit of the industrial revolution. The company, set up in 1865 by George Favre-Jacot as a watch assembly workshop, has made and distributed every watch type, from the simple pocket watch to the most complicated calendar. But it is still primarily associated with the caliber ‘El Primero’, the first chronograph around the wrist with automatic winding technique and a frequency of 36,000 vibration per hour. Only few watchmakers had ever ventured to such a high vibration frequency - and none of them with a complication like the integrated chronograph mechanism and the two-sided exciting rotor of the ‘El Primero’. However, the fact that this caliber has gained its fiftieth birthday is due to the revival of the mechanical watch.
The new beginning
After Zenith was sold to the LVMH Group in 1999, the label was thoroughly dusted and perhaps modified a little too much. With eccentric creations, this obsessive watchmaker of all watchmakers suddenly found itself in the shining world of the ‘Haute Horlogerie’. For the 150th anniversary of the company in 2015, their historic building in Le Locle was also dusted. And their beautiful workplace was incorporated into the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2009. In the building there are more than eighty different crafts. New materials and new machines may be used, but faith in tradition remains one of the most important features of the brand with the star. That is the course set by Jean-Frédéric Dufour during the recession, followed by his successor Aldo Magada, who goes on the circuit and even in the stratosphere to demonstrate the character and style of the company's products.
Take a look at our selection of Zenith watches below.
- ZenithDefy El Primero 2197.9000.9004/01.R787Special Price €9,850 Regular Price €13,700
- ZenithDefy Classic87.9001.670/79.R589Special Price €7,190 Regular Price €10,100
- ZenithPilot Type 20 Ton-Up Chronograph Aged Steel11.2432.4069/21.C900Special Price €4,950 Regular Price €7,800
- ZenithCronometro Tipo CP-229.2240.405/18.C801Special Price €5,390 Regular Price €7,900
- ZenithElite Ultra Thin03.2320.692/80.C714Special Price €4,250 Regular Price €5,700
- ZenithCaptain Elite03.2122.685/01.C498Special Price €4,150 Regular Price €5,900
- ZenithElite Classic18.2290.679/01.c498Special Price €6,990 Regular Price €9,900
- ZenithDefy Skyline03.9300.3620/21.I001Special Price €7,750 Regular Price €8,300
- ZenithCaptain Moonphase03.2143.691/01.C498Special Price €3,950 Regular Price €7,100
- ZenithChronomaster Revival Shadow97.T384.4061/21.C822Special Price €7,690 Regular Price €8,800
- ZenithEl Primero Chronomaster24.2042.400/27.R799Special Price €5,990 Regular Price €8,900
- ZenithEl Primero Range Rover24.2040.400/27.R797Special Price €5,550 Regular Price €8,900